Is it a wise decision to simply move out of your home, leave your spouse, and move your child out of state?   Without proper planning and advice, the answer is absolutely not.  If you move a child out of state you will open yourself up to a claim for Emergency Child Custody.  If you leave the home without sufficient legal justification, your spouse may say you abandoned him or her.

There are lots of reasons why you might want to move:   you might be in an abusive relationship or the other parent might be mistreating your children.  These arae valid and legitimate concerns and reasons for you to want to leave.  They may also be reasons to get the courts involved.

If you are thinking of moving out of North Carolina with your child, you should get legal advice. Meet with a lawyer, go over what has been happening in your home, and set up a plan to move forward.   Do those things before you move out of state with your child.


Scott Allen is a child custody attorney in Raleigh, NC with over nineteen years of experience in all areas of family law litigation and settlement.  He can be reached at 919.863.4183.