What Should You Do if Must Move as a Result of Your Separation or Divorce?

Moving is stressful under normal circumstances.  Moving is very stressful if it is the result of a separation or divorce.

Often, in the current economy, neither party is able to keep the marital residence and there are moves by both parents to new homes.  Frequently one spouse will want to move out of the marital home.

Here are some suggestions to make the process of moving less stressful:

  • If you have children try to stay in the same school district where they have been enrolled in school.  For example, if the children are both enrolled in Enloe High School in Raleigh, seek out a new residence nearby that would not automatically require a change in school.
  • Make certain you and your spouse are in agreement on who gets what personal property.  Don’t wait until the move to settle this.  Settle this before the separation if possible.
  • Organize your move and use it as an opportunity to get rid of things that neither you nor your spouse wants to keep.  Some items may be good charitable contributions.  A good charity is the Salvation Army.  They have a drop off location and thrift store at 205 Tryon Road in Raleigh.
  • Hire a mover or recruit friends and family to help.   Don’t try to do this yourself.
  • Forward your mail and provide your new address to:
  1. Your lawyer
  2. Friends
  3. Family
  4. Church
  5. Work / Employer
  6. Doctors/Dentists
  7. Organizations you belong to (alumni, community, etc.)


These suggestions should help your move easier and less stressful.