Domestic violence is a part of many marriages and relationships. It is a sad reality that what should be loving and caring relationships have violence as a frequent component.

Fortunately for those who live in Wake County and Raleigh, North Carolina, there are many resources that can help you.

  • InterAct of Wake County – located on Oberlin Road in Raleigh, is a private, non-profit, United Way agency that provides safety, support, and awareness to victims and survivors of domestic violence and rape/sexual assault.
  • Raleigh Police Department – has a Family Violence Intervention program and can be reached at (919) 996-3335. Of course, you can always contact the police by dialing 911 in an emergency.
  • Wake County Sheriff’s Victims Services Unit – can be reached at (919) 856-5623 or 856-6816.
  • SAVAN – 1-877-627-2826. Domestic Violence Victims (where the accused has been arrested) can call this number to find if a suspect is still in jail or can request to be notified when the suspect is released.
  • Courthouse in Raleigh – the civil clerk’s office is on the 11th floor of the Wake County Courthouse and you may file a claim for protection under the NC domestic violence statute, NCGS 50B. The clerks there will give you paperwork to fill out and instructions on how to file it. The telephone number for the clerk’s office is (919) 835-3148.

The most important thing a victim of domestic violence can do is find a way to stop being a victim and involve the legal authorities and a lawyer to assist them.